Mussels with Saffron and Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons soft unsalted butter
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds mussels
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ cup peeled, diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 T Champagne vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- Crusty bread
- In a small mixing bowl, steep the saffron in the lemon juice for 5 minutes. Add the softened butter and whisk until fully blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Clean the mussels well. Scrub the mussels well under cold running water, discarding any with broken shells. Remove the beards from the mussels.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
- Add the mussels, tomatoes, broth, vinegar and parsley; toss to combine.
- Add the saffron butter, cover the skillet and cook the mussels until they all open, about 3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls with good, crusty bread.