Simple Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Author: Circle of Eaters
- Yield: 8
- 2 lbs asparagus, ends removed
- 1 T Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, trimmed and chopped
- 2 leeks, trimmed and chopped
- 8 C organic vegetable or chicken stock
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices sour dough bread, toasted
- Chop the tips off your asparagus and put these to one side for later.
- Roughly chop the asparagus stalks.
- Get a large, deep pan on the heat and add a good lug of olive oil.
- Gently sauté the onions, celery and leeks for around 10 minutes, until soft and sweet, without coloring.
- Add the chopped asparagus stalks and stock and simmer for 20 minutes with a lid on.
- Remove from the heat and blend with a hand-held blender or in a blender.
- Season the soup bit by bit (this is important) with salt and pepper until just right.
- Put the soup back on the heat, stir in the asparagus tips, bring back to the boil and simmer for a few more minutes until the tips have softened.
- Toast your sliced sour dough.
- To serve, divide the soup between eight warmed bowls and place a piece of toasted sour dough into each.