Brioche French Toast Casserole
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 T orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 loaf challah bread, sliced into thick slices
- 1–2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- Fresh raspberries
- Fresh blackberries
- Crème fraîche
- Maple syrup
- Grease a 9×13 inch-baking dish with butter.
- In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup, brown sugar, and the butter. Spread the mixture in the bottom of the buttered baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, orange juice, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture, letting the bread sit for at least a minute so that it soaks up the egg mixture.
- Arrange the bread in the prepared baking dish. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the bread slices.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the French toast casserole evenly with the demerara sugar.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the casserole is golden and crisp.
- Loosely cover the French toast with foil if the tops of the bread begin to brown too quickly.
- Serve the french toast warm, topped with fresh berries, a dollop of creme fraiche and some maple syrup.