Chocolate Cookies with Spiced Chocolate Ganache
- 3/4 C plus 1 1/2 t / 190 g unsalted butter, cubed and at room temperature
- 2/3 C / 130 g granulated sugar
- 1/2 t flaky sea salt
- 1 3/4 C / 220 g all-purpose flour
- 3/4 C / 75 g Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- shaved peel of 1/2 orange
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 T / 90 ml boiling water
- 4 1/2 oz / 125 g dark chocolate (70%), roughly chopped into 1/3 inch pieces
- 1/2 vanilla pods seeds, scraped
- 1/4 t flaky sea salt
- 1/4 C / 50 g granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 T / 50 g light corn syrup
- 3 1/2 T / 50 g unsalted butter, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- Make the cookies.
- Place the butter, sugar, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment in place.
- Beat on medium-high speed for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda into a bowl.
- Turn the speed of the mixer to low, then add the dry ingredients in two batches until a dough forms.
- Tip onto a clean work surface and knead gently until smooth and uniform.
- Cover the dough loosely in plastic wrap, press to form a disk and place in the refrigerator to firm up. About an hour.